Sweets for Breakfast

Am I the only one that craves sweets first thing in the morning? If I could, I would eat a cupcake for breakfast. Don't judge. BUT, I've found a solution that is completely acceptable.

Lalo's Famous Cookies
Courtesy of Gwyneth Paltrow's Cookbook: My Father's Daughter (read more here)

As mentioned, we are cooking our way through this book. And after reading Gwyneth's description about these cookies, they had to be our first recipe:

"They are incredibly good for you - I even let my kids have them with breakfast - not a bad ingredient in the bunch." - GP

Cookies for breakfast, YES! If Gwyneth does it, why can't I? So I did. And...they were amazing. Even Rick (who always craves salty in the morning) gave into the morning sweets. They were extremely easy to make and they are about as guilt-free as you can get for a cookie.

You have to try these so I included the recipe below. Keep in mind, this makes about 50 cookies so you might want to cut in half, although - we just kept ours in the fridge and we're still eating them (a week later).



Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Lalo’s Famous Cookies (from My Father’s Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow)
  • 4 cups barley flour
  • 3 cups raw whole almonds crushed in a food processor (about ten 2-second pulses)
  • 1 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup real Vermont maple syrup (I used a local Ohio real syrup)
  • Your favorite Jam (blueberry, raspberry, apricot) We used Raspberry
Combine all of the ingredients except for the jam in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Form into tablespoonful balls and space them evenly on cookie sheets. Use your index finger, make an indent in each cookie. Fill each indent with a small spoonful of jam. Bake until cookies are evenly browned, about 20 minutes. Let cook before eating.